Most of our customers start with one unit - and quickly ask for multiple after they realize what a difference these ac units can make.
Below are a few more reasons mini-splits are the way to go for San Diego homeowners.
- Mini-splits are significantly cheaper than central air conditioning. A central AC system can cost $15,000-$25,000 depending on the existing conditions and size of the house. A mini split system averages $3200-$4800 installed per zone.
- Mini-splits are much more efficient. AC is rated according to SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio.) Most central AC units are 14 SEER; a very expensive central AC unit might be 16 or 18 SEER. Most of the mini-splits we install are 20-25 SEER without breaking the bank.
- The install on a mini-split is much less involved. We can usually complete it in a day. There is only a 3″ diameter hole from the outside condenser to the inside air handler, which is why they are called ductless AC units.
- Most mini-split units have the ability to heat as well; these are called heat pumps.
- Mini-splits are very quiet; most people don’t even realize they are on, they filter the air, and can alter the amount of energy used if the demand is less.
(The following pricing assumes that your current electrical box can handle a 30-50amp circuit.)
9,000 BTU High efficiency heat pump: 20+ SEER. small bedroom or office, $3100-3500
12,0000 BTU High efficiency heat pump: 20+ SEER. Usually enough for a bedroom or TV room, $3400-3700 installed
18,000 BTU High efficiency heat pump: 20+ SEER. Living room or high ceiling room, $3900-4300 installed
24,0000 BTU High efficiency heat pump: 20+ SEER. Large high ceiling room or open floor plan $4500-4900 installed
30,000 BTU High efficiency heat pump: 20+ SEER, 1200 SF whole house single floor $5300-5600 installed