Older homes especially have poor insulation and there is rarely enough room for central air conditioning. A better solution to beat the heat is the mini-split or “ductless” air conditioner. Outlined below are the reasons why mini splits are becoming so popular, especially as energy prices increase.
- Mini-splits are significantly cheaper than central air conditioning. A central AC system can cost $10,000-$20,000 depending on the existing conditions and size of the house. A mini split system averages $1,800-$2,900 installed per zone.
- Mini-splits are much more efficient. AC is rated according to SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio.) Most central AC units are 14 SEER; a very expensive central AC unit might be 16 or 18 SEER. Most of the mini-splits we install are 20-25 SEER without breaking the bank.
- The install on a mini-split is much less involved. We can usually complete it in a day. There is only a 3″ diameter hole from the outside condenser to the inside air handler, which is why they are called ductless AC units.
- Most mini-split units have the ability to heat as well; these are called heat pumps.
- Mini-splits are very quiet; most people don’t even realize they are on.
Do not wait for the heat to order your mini-split! There is a 2-week lead-time on most units, and this summer we anticipate selling out of the high value units.
Call us today for a free consultation on purchasing guilt free Air Conditioning!